Acl tear is one of the common injury seen in sports medicine practice Not everyone who has an acl tear needs to undergo surgery.patients can manage their normal activities with conditioning exercises of knee and modifications of lifestyle. However active individuals and elite athletes who are into regular sports at various levels with symptoms of regular instability resulting in pain and swelling of knee joint should consider Arthroscopy ACL repair /reconstruction to enable them to get back into active lifestyle and sports.
What is All Inside ACL Reconstruction with internal brace technique?
This is a novel technique which has become popular among various sports medicine surgeons performing acl surgeries all over the world.
The advantages of this technique compared to conventional acl procedures are
1. All inside acl technique requires to take single hamstring tendon in comparison to conventional where
both hamstrings are harvested. This helps in soft tissue preservation, preserving muscle strength and minimum post operative pain.
2. This technique is done by creating bone sockets of small sizes on both femur (thigh bone) and tibia(shin
bone) in comparison to conventional technique where complete large bone tunnels are formed.This minimises bone loss and thus reducing pain after the surgery
3. Fibre tape reinforcement along with hamstrings helps in graft loosening and elongation thus preventing
early failures after the surgery
4. Internal brace use helps in faster recovery and rehabilitation.Patients regain knee movements ,muscle
strength quite early in comparison to conventional technique, helping the athletes to get back to sports
5. All inside acl technique uses two small buttons,instead of screw, thus minimising foreign body reaction, screw loosening, and other complications.
6. skin cuts (around 1.5cm with pin holes ) are very small compared to conventional technique where large
incisions and made and thus more pain after the procedure, delaying the recovery.
who are the ideal candidates for this technique?
Generally elite athletes and sports persons who are into professional sports like, football, badminton,
volleyball , kabbadi and other aggressive sports. this decision is taken by a sports medicine specialist after assessing the activity level and musculoskeletal screening.
What is ACL repair?
Arthroscopy acl repair involves stitching the torn ligament back into bone, resulting in healing of patients own native acl tissue .This can be done in certain cases where the ligament is peeled from the bone , and when patients consults the surgeon within 6 weeks from the injury.This is ideal procedure as its done with two pinholes without taking any graft and better neuromuscular proprioception.